Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Beginning......

I am a 47 year old female, from New Zealand, 8 weeks ago on May 9th 2011 I had a small accident on my pushbike, ok not so small, broke my wrist and had surgery. I broke the Distal Radius and had ORIF (Open Reduction Internal Fixation)  surgery. I was in a cast for 5 weeks, and when the cast was removed I had no movement in my wrist, I was referred onto physio/hand therapist where we have now 5% movement in my wrist and things are going very slow.


2 weeks ago she mentioned she thought I had early signs of CRPS,  (Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome) or otherwise known as RND (Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophy) but didnt go into to much detail, I was due to meet the orthopedic surgeon the following week so she wrote him a letter with her concerns. I turned up at the appointment, he took one look at the x-ray and said no reason why you should not be moving, remove the splint and compression glove and toddle off, 3 more weeks of work and you are discharged. I tried to explain to him that the pain was unbearable without the splint for long periods, he would not listen, I walked out of there with the splint and compression glove in my bag.... feeling disheartened. 


I kept the splint off all day and night, but only got about 3 -4 hours sleep with painkillers cause the pain was unbearable. The next day I went to the physio and burst into tears.... she basically said he is a surgeon and he will look at his work say it is fine and be on your way, they do not consider the soft tissue damage, ligament damage etc..... anyway she said going from a splint to nothing straight away is not right, so we put the splint and glove back on. I take it off when I do my exercises, I have about 2 - 3 hours of exercises to do at home this includes hot water soaking, wheat bag etc as well as wrist exercises and thumb exercises etc..... I am also going to go to the Polynesian Spa here and see if that helps with movement as from I can gather the more I can move it the better the outcome.


Anyway last time I was there we noticed that the more hair had grown on my wrist and what was worse it was black, I never have black hair growth lol..... and also when I had painted my nails, what would normally last about 3 weeks only lasted about a week, cause the nails were growing fast and they needed to be redone.My skin is also soft and shiny on that hand and some days I have a part of my palm that I can not even massage cause of the pain. Now to some people this may not be much hair, but I have blonde hair and none whatsoever on my right wrist in these places. And all this has just appeared in the last 10 days or so. And I am noticing more and more hair each day. I also know in certain parts of my hand the pain has got worse. 





Anyway right now I am in the very early stages of this condition and what will happen next have no idea.... I go back to physio on Tuesday morning, but I decided to do this blog as an update of this condition. Hopefully it will go into remission sooner rather than later and I will be grateful, but if it doesn't I want to be able to have some documentation of this. 


I currently work as a checkout operator in a big supermarket, well was am on ACC currently and am not sure when I will be going back to work at this stage. But the money is not much as I was only casual for a while when I first started work there and they base the income over the last 12 months, so the sooner I can get back to work the better. 


Oh and why the template of the Gold Coast, cause I have had 2 lovely holidays there and when this is all over and I have some money saved I plan to go back there :-)


Anyway see you next time :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment